How to Rinse the Nose with salt water
- When you rinse your nose with this salt water and baking soda mixture, it washes crusts, mucus, pollutants, allergens and other debris from your nose. This cleanses the nose, aids healing, and reduces the urge to blow the nose.
- Carefully clean and rinse a litre glass jar. Fill a clean jar with boiled or bottled water.
- Add one level teaspoon of salt (use sea or rock salt, which doesn’t have additives).
- Add one level teaspoon of baking soda.
- Stir or shake to dissolve. Store at room temperature
- Stir or shake before each use
After a week, pour out the leftover mixture and make a new solution
- Many people like to gently warm the salt water in a microwave to body temperature. Be sure it is not too hot.
- You can instil the salt water into the nose by
- Spraying it up the nose with a spray bottle
- Flushing it up the nose with a sinus rinse bottle
- (Both can be bought at a chemist)
Sniffing it up out of a bowl
You should use the salt water mixture first, then use your steroid nasal spray about 5 minutes later. The steroid nasal spray works better if sprayed onto nasal membranes that the salt water has cleaned.
For more information on any of our procedures.